Tuesday 24 November 2015

Oh, brother (part 46) by Grant Harbison


“Quiet as a mouse,” said Deplorium to Truman and Borium as they approached the manor house.
“What now, Deplorium?” asked Borium. “How do we get beyond the wall and into the ground?”
“Through a tunnel ah found.”
Truman frowned. “I don’t like the idea of going underground.”
“It’s the only way tae avoid the hound.”
“The hound?” queried Borium as his heart began to pound.
“Aye, big and black and furry wi’ enormous sharp teeth. The safest way tae go is underneath.”  
“How do we get through the tunnel without any light?” asked Truman. “The passage below will be darker than night.”
“It’s a breeze. We just move along oan oor hands and knees. Ah’ve done it a few times wi’ relative ease.”
“So small?” asked Borium. “I’m not sure I like the idea of having to crawl.”
“Och, it’s easy, ye’ll see. The two o’ you are half the size o’ me.”
“Where does the tunnel end?” asked Borium. “Tell us that before we descend.”
“Yes, and to what depth does it go?” asked Truman. “That’s what I’d like to know.”   
“What difference does it make if it’s shallow or deep? All ye have tae do is creep. We stop below the cellar floor and go up through the trap door. If ye have any more questions, ye better say. Because it’s gettin’ late and we cannae delay.”
“Nothing we say will make you sway,” said Borium. “We will go, just lead the way.”
“Okay,” said Deplorium and pointed to a tree. “It’s over there. Come wi’ me.”
“Where is the tunnel?” asked Truman as they approached the tree. “There’s nothing here as far as I can see.”
“This is it,” replied Deplorium when he removed some branches on the ground to reveal the pit.”
“If I die, please save my soul,” whispered Borium before he followed the others into the hole.

No comments:

Post a Comment