Thursday 20 April 2017

Choose life by Grant Harbison


I saw her there
Jocular eyes and long dark hair
And that perpetual air of devil may care
I was curious to know what was on her mind
Would she be cruel or would she be kind
Her reaction was not what I anticipated
As I was neither praised nor berated
Instead she offered me her hand
And I grasped it although I didn’t understand
Moments later I gasped in surprise
When I saw my life flash in front of my eyes
For the first time I really saw me
Seeing what I was and what I could be
Suddenly I had the urge to break free
To bask in this joy perpetually
My hopes began to soar
Until she stopped in front of a very large door
And whispered in my ear just before she went through
“First you have to be me before you can truly be you.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment